TCT Meeting/April 2014 Minutes
- Ian Campbell
- Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
- James Bulpin
- Aravind Gopalakrishnan
- Paul Durrant
- Jun Nakajima
- Jan Beulich
- Olaf Herring
- Suravee Suthikulpanit
- Simon Rowe
- Daniel Kiper
- Boris Ostrovsky
Review ACTION items
- Action Don & Jun: Don and Jun will chase up VMX maintainers inside Intel re: GPU Passthrough and cache attributes to "comment on certain aspects of EPT and why IOMMU related things are done the way they are".
- Jan: The particular issue was acked. But better responsiveness to issue brought up on the list is desirable
- Don: Intel have taken this on board and are working improve responsiveness.
- Konrad: Boris' patches for perf have not been acked by VMX maintainers for 3 weeks now.
- Don: Will chase this
Current technical challenges
- Release Manager for 4.5
- Jan: Where are we with finding a release manager. Do we want to have one
- Ian: George was searching for a successor, but didn't managed to sync up with him. We should have an RM.
- Konrad: What is required, thinking of putting his hat in the ring.
- Ian: Keeping the backlog list and saying no to people. Speak to George?
Coordination on current and future work
- Konrad: KVP. Microsoft has a mechanism where the host and guest can communicate banal information such as host type, IP, and set the IP of the guest.
- Oracle have a similar tool.
- XenServer does too.
- Distros all have the MS userspace daemon and kernel space driver.
- Should the host expose via libxl or vendor specific bits of toolstack?
- Paul: Can the driver be replaced and leave the userspace alone?
- Konrad: I think so, but the daemon uses a socket. Can do network script munging etc too.
- Paul: A the driver messages very specific to hyperv?
- Konrad: Yes but could replace with a more generic interface
- Ian: virtio and qemu guest agent? Might be a better fit?
- ACTION: Konrad to investigate qemu agent.
- James: qemu guest agent uses virtio serial.
- Paul: Related thing is that Windows guests could use the MS KVP even running on Xen
- Ian: Concerned about MS control of protocol.
- Konrad: Nice thing is that it is in many distros, from Fedora 18, RHEL7, Debian Wheezy, SuSE 13.3SP2.
- Ian: Seems like people want the functionality somehow.
- Konrad: But don't want to roll our own.
- Konrad: ACTION: Investigate KVP spec WRT compatibility etc.
Community news, activities.
- Hackathon at end of May in London, wiki page and mails to xen-devel.