Xen VGA Passthrough Tested Adapters
List of tested graphics adapters for Xen VGA Passthrough
Please send an email to xen-devel or xen-users with all the details about your VGA graphics passthru experience. If you are confident that your adaptor works, feel free to just add it to this page.
Please include the following details in the email:
- Xen version
- Dom0 kernel version, and if it's pvops or xenlinux based
- "lspci" output for the graphics card to get the PCI IDs and model information
- Did you passthru all the PCI IDs or just one?
- Was it primary or secondary graphics adapter?
- Motherboard vendor/model and BIOS version.
- Guest OS and driver version.
- How did it work.. did you have some issues?
Xen VGA graphics passthru has been tested to work with these graphics adapters:
Intel display adapters
Xen 4.0.0, OpenSuse 11.2 xenlinux 126.96.36.199-0.2 dom0 kernel. Dell Optiplex 755 desktop. Windows XP HVM guest, Dell provided Intel graphics driver. Primary adapter. Passthru for both PCI IDs. 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
Nvidia display adapters
Note that Nvidia officially supports only Quadro FX 3800, 4800 and 5800 for graphics passthrough usage (they've tested and verified their binary drivers for these graphics cards in combination with graphics passthrough).
In addition, Nvidia lists the following graphics adapters as "Multi-OS" capable: Quadro 6000, 5000, 4000, 2000. "Multi-OS" allows VGA passthrough to fully virtualized guests. Note: The Nvidia Quadro 600 is not supported.
User reported working adapters:
- nVidia Quadro 2000, as secondary display adapter, Linux Mint 13 dom0, Xen 4.1.2, Windows 7 guest with Nvidia driver 305.93.
- nVidia G92 (GeForce 8800 GTS 512), as primary adapter, Xen 4.0.0-rc8, pvops xen/stable-2.6.32.x dom0, Linux HVM guest with nv driver.
ATI/AMD display adapters
AMD sent patch enabling VGA passthrough on AMD/ATI Radeon/FirePro graphics adapters on 2010-10-07: http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-10/msg00284.html .
Remember to install the graphics drivers in the DomU first, before expecting secondary passthrough to work.
Tested adapters by AMD:
User reported working adapters:
- ATI ES1000, as primary adapter, Xen 4.2-unstable 25099, RedHat6.2 vmlinux-3.1.0-rc7 dom0, RedHat6.2 HVM guest.
- AMD Radeon HD4550
- AMD Radeon HD4770, Fedora 12 dom0, WinXP HVM, Win7 HVM
- AMD Radeon HD4890, as secondary adapter, Xen 4.2.1, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS dom0, Win Vista x64 HVM (this card do _not_ support Function Level Reset)
- AMD Radeon HD5750, Win7 32bit HVM (Catalyst 10-9)
- AMD Radeon HD5770
- AMD Radeon HD5850
- AMD Radeon HD6450/HD7450, Xen 4.2.1, xm, EL6, dom0, Win7 64bit HVM domU
- AMD Radeon HD6570
- AMD Radeon HD6770, Xen 4.1.2 and 4.1.3, pciback, WinXP HVM
- AMD Radeon HD6850, WinXP HVM, Win7 HVM
- AMD Radeon HD6870, Xen 4.2 (only with xl tools), Win7 64bit HVM
- AMD Radeon HD6870, Xen 4.2 unstable 25167, Xen 4.1.2, 4.1.3, Debian Wheezy dom0 Kernel 3.3.2 and 3.3.0
- AMD Radeon HD6950, Win7 64bit HVM
- AMD Radeon HD6970, Win7 64bit HVM
- AMD Radeon HD7750, as secondary adapter, Xen 4.1.3, Mint 14 (kernel 3.7) dom0, Windows 8 Pro HVM
- AMD Radeon HD7870
- AMD Radeon HD7950, Xen 4.2 (pciback), Arch Linux 64bit (Catalyst 12.11) dom0, Win7 64bit HVM (Catalyst 12.10)
- AMD Radeon HD7950 as secondary adapter, Xen 4.2 (xen modules built into kernel 3.8.1-201), Fedora 18 64bit dom0, Win7 64bit HVM (Catalyst 13.3 Beta * drivers only, catalyst not installed)
- AMD Radeon HD7970, Win7 HVM
There are certain user-reports that the Catalyst Control Center (ccc.exe) should be _not_ installed when installing the Catalyst Driver - for unknown reasons it may cause a BSOD. The GPU Driver itself works without problems when not installing CCC.
User reported _NOT_ working adapters:
- ATI Radeon x1950, Xen 4.2.1, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS dom0, Win Vista x64 HVM, either as primary or secondary adapter.
Matrox display adapters
Tested adapters: MGA G200e
Xen 4.2-unstable changeset 25099, RedHat6.2 vmlinux-3.1.0-rc7 dom0 kernel. Intel Romley-EP, Integrated graphics. Windows8 Beta HVM guest, RedHat6.2 HVM guest Integrated graphics. Primary adapter. Passthru single PCI ID, hidden from dom0: xen-pciback.hide=(0a:00.0). 0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1) (rev 04)
See XenVGAPassthrough wiki page for more information about Xen VGA graphics passthru in general.